A wise person, or maybe just another newly rich Malibu recluse, once said: ?Living well is the best revenge?
That's not a bad idea, but if you're a creative sort, you can just as easily assert: ?Writing well is the best revenge.?
I am a strong believer in turning lemons into lemonade, but if you don't have the sweetness for it, you can fill your pen with the acrid juice and shoot it directly at the objects of your disdain.
For example, I ate in a restaurant a few weeks ago that offered decent food but indecent excuses about the creatures that were crawling in it.
Having summoned the manager to the table, I got no satisfaction from pointing to the critters, so I wrote an article about the episode that has been published in multiple places.
Will it discourage some people from frequenting the joint? Perhaps.
Also, I sent a copy to the president of the company, and received no reply, which tells me he's hoping the health department doesn't get a copy.
Anyway, I took my disgust and WROTE IT OUT OF MY SYSTEM.
And this is what I suggest to you.
Whenever you feel abused, misused, or unduly and unjustly disappointed, write about it; and the sooner the better!
This will accomplish several things:
(1) You'll tell the offender he transgressed, putting him on notice that he's being observed.
(2) You'll see that your feelings are justified. By marshalling your points in writing, you'll come to the conclusion that there's merit in your message.
(3) You'll potentially remediate the situation, so fewer suffer in the future.
(4) You'll purge your system of your negative emotions.
(5) You'll probably emerge with an article or something you can use more widely and more profitably.
Teddy Roosevelt said ?Speak softly and carry a big stick.?
Writers should modify this to say: ?Write loudly, and carry a mighty pen!?
Dr. Gary S. Goodman is the best-selling author of 12 books, over 600 articles, and the creator of numerous audio and video training programs, including "The Law of Large Numbers: How To Make Success Inevitable," published by Nightingale-Conant-a favorite among salespeople and entrepreneurs. For information about booking Gary to speak at your next sales, customer service or management meeting, conference or convention, please address your inquiry to: [email protected].